Thursday, March 3, 2011

Android Adoption Rates and yesterday's announcement of the iPad2

A friend and former colleague asked me today if any Android Tablets would pose serious competition to the iPad2?  My answer surprised him.  It is my position that (selfishly) it doesn't matter, but no Android Tablet Maker will become a significant competitor to Apple and it's near perfect tablet offerings any time soon.  As an owner of both the first iPad and the first serious Android tablet, the Galaxy Tab, there is no comparison between them as consumer media devices.  The iPad display is better, the larger screen is better, UI is better, App store is better,  the ease of use is better and at the risk of being portrayed as an Apple fan boy it is the best computing device I have ever purchased.  Little surprise that it is recognized as the single most successful consumer electronic device in history.  Apple sold nearly 15 million units from April to December generating almost $10 Billion in revenue.  Ok, I got carried away there a bit, my point was that Apple is the de facto leader in tablets and with yesterday's iPad2 they are poised to maintain that leadership position for 2011 and beyond the " Year of the Tablet".  Now, back to my friend's question and my answer that surprised him.  Motorola, Samsung, Toshiba, LG and every other serious Android Tablet maker will compete for a distant 2nd place and that is ok by me, as long as they make devices that perform well and are reasonably priced.  It is important that Android is well represented across the PDA, Smartphone, Tablet and TV categories so the operating system is not locked out of any vertical market, particularly Healthcare which is our focus.  The backbone of the Android movement is the Smartphone and at current adoption rates it is killing the iPhone and will be the dominant operating system globally.  This is a far more important category killer and will propel vertical market applications which at the risk of redundancy, particularly Healthcare which is my focus.  More on this subject soon.

1 comment:

  1. I met Paul and he demonstrated his connection to various devices. I find the solution based process to be miost valuable.

    ReplyDelete