Thursday, April 18, 2013

NASA's Shuttle Carrier Aircraft 747 back at Patrick Air Force Base

I was driving to swim early last Friday morning when I was surprised to see the NASA 747 parked at Patrick Air Force Base.  During the summer of 2012, the specially modified 747 was a frequent site at Patrick AFB during the time when the last Shuttles were being ferried to their final resting spots in museums.  Since that time I had read in news reports that both the 747's were going to be retired to air museums in California and Texas.  Since that time I have seen one or both of them at Patrick AFB on several occasions in addition to last week.  Maybe there is a new mission and they decided not to park them in the air museums.  One observation is how vulnerable to terrorist or any type of attack these planes are when parked at Patrick.  This photo was taken from my bike just off the A1A road that runs past the base.
Patrick AFB doesn't have much flight activity on a regular basis.  There are some Florida Air National Guard troop carriers stationed there and a couple of old P3's as well.  Every couple of weeks, some old Fighter Jets show up on the weekends, I will try and get a shot of them next time I see them.

Paul Speese

1 comment:

  1. That's an E-4B not NASA's shuttle transport plane. The E-4B belongs to the USAF.

    ReplyDelete